It’s vacation season, and that means many consumers are booking flights, accommodations, tours, and much much more. With the travel & hospitality industry on the rise, we wondered, what are the current consumer views on accommodations?
We asked. Here are the responses from over 800 US respondents:
- 45% book accommodations BEFORE booking transportation
- 28% of respondents book accommodations a few weeks before
- almost 50% of respondents spend a few days browsing before booking an accommodation
- 65% of people say the primary person who books accommodations is themselves
- 33% say the average budget per night is $75-$124
- 76% usually book with the same chain of hotels
- 64% prefer to check into their accommodation digitally versus talking to a person at concierge
How booking works:
- 30% say they look directly on the accommodation website whereas 27% look at discount sites
- 56% use discount sites like hotels.com, Expedia to book versus 49% that use specific hotel points and rewards systems to book
- 77% usually book based on online reviews
- People rely on good reviews and best value most when looking for the right accommodation (both tied at 26%).
- For reviews when booking an accommodation, the lowest they will go for their comfortability is 3/5. (42%).
- 62% are more inclined to book an accommodation if it has eco-friendly practices
- 72% are more inclined to book an accommodation if it has special offers on tours in that location or deals for restaurants
Types of accommodations:
- Surprise surprise, the most popular accommodation type is a hotel (90%), with vacation rental next (50%) and then B&B’s (34%)
- 48% are unwilling to try new hotels
- 47% say they do not trust Airbnb
The top 3 features respondents looked for when choosing an accommodation were:
- 71% locations
- 69% price
- 61% cleanliness
- 53% free wifi
- 47% amenities
The top 5 amenities respondents need when booking accommodations are:
- 70% air conditioning
- 59% free wireless, high-speed internet
- 52% free parking
- 52% breakfast included
- 46% swimming pool
The top 3 unusual accommodations that respondents would stay in include:
- 47% a houseboat
- 45% overwater bungalow
- 44% treehouse
- 35% undersea lodging
- 35% an ice hotel
To learn more about how Toluna QuickSurveys analyzes real-time data from each study, check out our blog on TolunaAnalytics and its functions.
This survey was run with Toluna QuickSurveys, the leading consumer digital insights platform. The data from this survey is based on 828 respondents, and Toluna’s proprietary weighting algorithm, SmartSelect was used for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income to bring them into line with their actual proportions within the population. Toluna QuickSurveys can now guarantee a minimum of 1,000 nationally representative completed interviews – in no less than 21 countries – in 24 hours or less.